About money and currency
Before the trip - To
take - About the flight and the arrival
- About money and currency - About health
and comfort - About security - Security
in Lima - About local transportation - About
the departure and after getting back
- Check if the given notes (change, exchange) aren't fake.
- Prefer cash over traveller checks to travel. In fact, they are difficult
to change in Peru.
- Get an international credit card, now there are cash dispensers anywhere
in Peru. Notice that Visa cards are the most accepted ones.
- Most of the time (in restaurants, hotels, bars, stores, etc.), dollar is
accepted (check however the exchange rate); for other places (small stores,
handcraft, etc.), only the Sol is accepted. So, think about taking with you
both, Soles and Dollars.
- Bargaining is a rule, even in some stores with printed prices.
- For domestic flights, you have to pay at the airport a 12 soles tax, for
- Peruvian currency is the New Sol (Nuevo Sol - S/.) and the
exchange rate varies everyday.